Managing Senior Director of DevelopmentCompany: UW Carbone Cancer Center
Date Posted: July 28, 2017
Managing Senior Director of Development
UW Carbone Cancer Center
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
Become a part of a team that is dedicated to curing cancer! The Managing Senior Director of Development will work directly with the Vice President of Development in the Medical Advancement Group regarding the planning, management, and implementation of a comprehensive healthcare philanthropy program in support of the University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center (UWCCC).
UWCCC, the only NCI designated comprehensive cancer center in Wisconsin, is recognized throughout the Midwest and the nation as one of the leading innovators in cancer research, quality patient care, and active community involvement. The Center is committed to leading-edge research designed to provide better treatment and ultimately, cures for cancer. UWCCC is comprised of faculty members working in the area of cancer research, education, and patient care at the School of Medicine and Public Health and the Center is led by Dr. Howard Bailey.
Philanthropy is the key to enabling over 250 cancer physicians and researchers the opportunity to initiate more discoveries, which can be translated to the bedside, improving clinical care for cancer patients in Wisconsin and throughout the US. Over the past 10 years, the UWCCC has experienced success in building a strong development program with thousands of donors supporting the Center on an annual basis and many of these donors becoming major donors and high-level prospects. In 2016, UWCCC raised more than $6 million and over 11,000 donors supported the efforts of the Center. UWCCC has and continues to manage major fundraising events that have been used to identify new prospects/donors along with cultivating/stewarding existing major gift donor/prospects. A successful candidate for this position will provide not only provide strategic leadership for the UWCCC development program, but will also manage a portfolio of major gift prospects. The ideal candidate will be a dynamic, energetic, and an innovative team player who possess the requisite compassion to work with people at difficult times in their lives.
The Managing Senior Director of Development will work in collaborative effort to accomplish the following objectives to:
- Work directly with the Director of the UWCCC and additional medical development leadership to identify the philanthropic priorities of the Center.
- Successfully manage the UWCCC development team by inspiring collegiality, determining prospect portfolios, and introducing development best practices that will result in an increase in overall donors to UWCCC and major gifts secured to support UWCCC.
- Serve on the leadership team of the WFAA Medical Advancement Group.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and manage a portfolio of prospects and donors in order to secure major gifts in support of identified cancer center initiatives and priorities.
- Develop and maintain effective and consistent internal and external communications.
- Work directly with UWCCC leadership to organize and manage the UWCCC’s Advisory Board.
- Identify effective prospect identification tools to link potential donors with department programs and needs.
- Initiate strategies to enhance donor stewardship.
- Partner with UWCCC’s External Relations staff to develop materials for increasing awareness of diseases specific research and the UWCCC as destination for philanthropic support.
- Work collaboratively with the UWCCC’s External Relations and Special Events’ staff to assist in coordination of development events and activities.
- Be present and visible in the Madison community as a representative of the UWCCC.
A high level of professionalism is required of all Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA) staff. Professionalism is demonstrated by altruism, accountability, fairness, and treating everyone with kindness, respect and dignity.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of five years of experience in a fund raising capacity or equivalent work-related experience.
- High language, mathematical and reasoning ability.
- Proficiency with office productivity applications and keyboarding.
- Team leadership; project management skills; interpersonal skills; negotiation; conflict resolution; motivation, listening; organizational skills; ability to communicate effectively and meaningfully with groups and individuals; management/supervision skills; situational leadership; judgment; facilitation; consensus- building; creativity; innovation; business acumen; political savvy; effective working relationships; major gift development expertise.
- Ability to work in an office setting as well as travel to and in-between local and out of town appointments.
The Managing Senior Director of Development reports to a Vice President of Development in the Medical Advancement Group at WFAA. This is a challenging, exciting and meaningful full-time position. It does involve travel and attendance at various UWCCC related events. We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefit program.
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume in a single attachment to:
Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions at email@example.com. Application deadline is August 14.
Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is the “doing business as” name of the merged organization comprising the University of Wisconsin Foundation (www.supportuw.org) and the Wisconsin Alumni Association (www.uwalumni.com), whose legal corporate name is registered as the University of Wisconsin Foundation.