PresidentCompany: VSA Wisconsin
Date Posted: October 3, 2017
VSA Wisconsin located in Madison is seeking a President (Executive Director) with a desired start date of January 2018. All interested individuals should send resume and cover letter to ExecDirSearch@thompsonim.com by October 27, 2017 for best consideration. JOB OVERVIEW The President has overall strategic and operational responsibility for VSA Wisconsin staff, programs and fundraising and effective execution of the mission to ensure long-term stability. The President reports to the Board of Directors (Board) and is evaluated by its’ executive committee. Additional duties may be assigned by the Board.
- Full-time, exempt position requires flexibility to attend evening and weekend programs/events.
- Some driving within Wisconsin, occasional air travel for regional and national meetings.
- Benefits include 401(k) retirement plan, paid leave, executive disability insurance, group term life insurance and health care insurance allowance.
- Minimum starting base salary of $75,000 may be adjusted based upon experience, qualifications and additional benefits.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Work closely with the Board to ensure VSA Wisconsin’s vision and execute its mission including serving as staff liaison for board and committee meetings.
- Develop ongoing long and short-term strategic plan with Board involvement.
- Lead continuing programmatic and operational excellence.
- Cultivate effective relationships with staff, artists, volunteers, community groups, peer organizations, media, funders and others to advance the goals of the organization.
- Act as organization spokesperson and promote VSA Wisconsin at community activities to enhance the organization’s community profile.
- Successfully recruit and retain qualified staff, teaching artist and volunteers.
- Promote an ethical and safe work environment and best business practices in compliance with all regulatory agencies.
- Keep abreast of developments and trends in the fields of art, disability, leadership and non- profit operations.
- Work with staff and Board to formulate a comprehensive annual budget.
- Oversee effective day-to-day operations.
- Administer funds per approved budget and monitor monthly cash flow.
- Provide comprehensive and timely financial reports to the Board.
- Develop and sign contracts on behalf of VSA Wisconsin within approved budget and guidelines.
FUNDRAISING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support operations including diversifying sources of funding.
- Build and sustain relationships with current and potential donors, foundations, corporations and government agencies.
- Nurture giving mindset among stakeholders.
- Communicate regularly with stakeholders to promote VSA Wisconsin’s mission.
- Work with Board to develop and facilitate an annual fundraising plan.
- Work closely with Program Director to stimulate professional, relevant and innovative programming in support of mission.
- Develop ongoing geographic and demographic strategy in alignment with funding opportunities and board-identified goals.
The President must be committed to VSA Wisconsin’s mission and have proven leadership, fundraising, and staff management skills. Experience and other qualifications should include:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least five years progressive management experience, preferably in one or more fields: arts, disability and nonprofit.
- Ability to engage a diverse range of stakeholders and cultures, including arts, disability, and under-served communities of all ages.
- Direct experience with fundraising and resource development including events, grant writing, donor solicitation and enhancement. Familiarity with local and statewide donors desirable.
- Experience developing exceptional programs and data driven program evaluation methods.
- Experience with donor databases and Microsoft Office work environment.
- Compelling and engaging interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.