Development DirectorCompany: Wormfarm Institute
Date Posted: January 17, 2018
The Wormfarm Institute (Wormfarm) is a small arts and culture organization in Reedsburg, Wisconsin enjoying an exciting period of rapid growth and national attention. We are seeking a multitalented, super-organized, creative thinker to help us further develop and manage Wormfarn’s systems and strategies for effective revenue development. This is a wonderful opportunity to design a strategic, multi-year development effort for a unique rural arts program with national recognition and support.
The Development Director, a new leadership position, will plan, manage, and implement Wormfarm’s fundraising efforts, including donor appeals, grant writing, sponsorship solicitations, and efforts for increasing earned revenue. S/he will coordinate all development-related communications strategies, including media, public and donor relations.
The Development Director will report directly to Wormfarm’s Executive Director.
Please note: This position does not have a regular assistant, so the Director will need to be comfortable in both the planning and execution of all duties assigned, including administrative tasks.
- Create, implement, and report on annual fundraising plan in collaboration with Executive Director and Board.
- Develop and implement strategies to build and maintain excellent relationships with individual and corporate donors, institutional funders, and other stakeholders.
- Cultivate and steward existing and prospective private and corporate donors and develop donor-specific opportunities for donations and/or sponsorships.
- Manage Wormfarm’s individual giving program, including bi-annual print solicitations, online solicitations, payments, gift acknowledgements.
- Conduct ongoing research into institutional funding opportunities (government, foundation, and corporate), and assist Executive Director with grant applications as appropriate.
- Solicit and secure sponsors for Wormfarm’s community events, particularly Fermentation Fest.
- Develop outreach language for donors, including annual report, event invitations, and gift renewal materials.
- Prepare all donor correspondence, including solicitation letters, pledge payment reminders, and gift acknowledgements and receipts.
- Coordinate a limited number of small fundraising events (as determined by the development plan and Executive Director)
- Collaborate with Wormfarm staff, Board, and volunteers on events and publications to support and promote fundraising opportunities and align resources effectively.
- Maintain complete and accurate print and digital organizational systems for tracking fundraising files, proposals, prospects, and funder relationships. Produce reports from donor database (DonorPerfect) as needed.
- Enter all pledges and gifts in database. Work with bookkeeper to ensure accuracy and consistency across systems.
- Collaborative team player with strong work ethic
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple demands.
- Strong communication skills, including public speaking, writing, and interpersonal communications.
- Proven track record of effective fundraising
- Minimum three years of experience in nonprofit fundraising, including donor relations and major gifts.
- Minimum three years of grant writing experience including government grants, knowledge of foundation and corporate fundraising, including understanding of and experience with prospect research and direct experience in proposal writing.
- Facility with donor management software (DonorPerfect a plus)
- Demonstrated ability to personally solicit and secure contributions from individuals and organizations.
- Experience with social media
- Familiarity with Wisconsin philanthropic and business community desired.
- Prior knowledge of finance and/or other quantitative disciplines a plus.
- Knowledge of the culture, operations, and structure of nonprofit corporations required.
- Education: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in related field
This is a part time 70% position. Salary is based on FTE $45-$50k, commensurate with experience.
Application Procedure and Deadline:
To apply, submit a resume along with a cover letter stating how your experiences, relationships, and interests align with the job requirements. Include a writing sample and three professional references. Flexibility in work schedule can be addressed in interview process.
Email application to email@example.com.
Applications due by Feb 15, 2018 (or until position is filled)